Eating well is a big part of living life on your own terms. The good news is that having a stoma should not stand in the way of enjoying good food.
There are no set dietary rules for people living with a stoma. It may just take a bit of time to find out what works for you. With the go-ahead from your healthcare team, you can eat what you like, when you like.
Here are some general guidelines:*
- Eat regularly
- Drink plenty of fluids
- To avoid blockages1,chew your food well
- Ask your ostomy nurse or a dietitian if you need to take vitamins
- After surgery, try new foods one at a time, in small quantities. If there is a problem (such as gas), you can make simple adjustments that work for you.
- Most importantly, enjoy your food.
1 Diet Reference: Ostomy Nutrition Guide. University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Web site.http://www.upmc.com/patients-visitors/education/nutrition/Pages/ostomy-nutrition-guide.aspx Accessed May 23, 2016.
* You should always ask your healthcare professional about any dietary restrictions you may have or need to follow.