For people living with an ostomy, humid climates and certain situations may cause concern in pouch wear time. The me+™ support team has put together some useful tips just for you to help optimize your pouch wear time.
Feel more confident in humid weather with these tips:
- Review your peristomal cleaning routine: Using baby wipes or cleaners that include moisturizers may affect your pouch seal in hot, humid weather. Clean your peristomal skin with warm water and a simple bar of soap. To learn more about bathing or showering with an ostomy, follow this link.
- Try a barrier wipe or spray before applying your pouch: Silesse™ sting-free skin barrier wipes create a barrier film that protects the skin from the damaging effects of adhesives, body waste and enzyme attack. Using the barrier wipes in combination with Stomahesive protective powder may help extend overall pouch wear time.
- If you are in a humid climate or tend to perspire more, try a pouch with a Stomahesive® skin barrier and an acrylic tape collar: NATURA® skin barriers provide a unique formula that enables the skin barrier to adhere to both dry and moist skin.
- Using an eakin Cohesive® seal with your pouching system may help absorb additional moisture: Help prevent leaks and skin irritation by forming an absorptive barrier around your stoma with eakin Cohesive® seals.
- More often pouch changes may be required: You may find in humid climates and situations that you need to change your pouch more often.