Here are some guidelines that may help ease difficult feelings:
- Be patient: Don't be too hard on yourself. Some days will be better than others. In time, you will feel like yourself again.
- Keep talking: Keep communication open with a loved ones and your ostomy nurse. You may find that discussing your feelings makes you feel better.
- Try to stay active and in good company: With your doctor’s permission, take up a new hobby or get involved with an activity group.
- Express yourself creatively: Some people find that writing, painting, drawing or doing other crafts can be energizing, offer an alternate outlet for difficult feelings, and help focus the mind.
- Be on the lookout for depression: Though it is normal to feel sad or “blue” for a week or two after surgery, these feelings should go away as you heal. If these feelings worsen, or you have any of the following symptoms, talk to your doctor or ostomy nurse right away. The sooner you seek help, the sooner you will start feeling better.