Ag SURGICAL cover dressings are an easy-to-use, single-product solution to the post-operative management of surgical incisions. They are designed to enhance clinical outcomes and facilitate patient mobility. Added ionic silver provides sustained antimicrobial activity for up to 14 days as demonstrated by in vitro
Evidence supports that, compared to a non-woven post-operative surgical cover dressing regimen, AQUACEL® Ag SURGICAL cover dressings.2a, 3b:
- Reduce surgical site infection (SSI)
- Reduce skin blistering
- Reduce delayed discharge
- Require fewer dressing changes
- A post-operative regimen using Mephore TM dressing covering AQUACEL® dressing was compared to a new dressing regimen of DuoDERM® Extra Thin dressing covering AQUACEL® dressing after application of a liquid film forming acrylate. A subsequent study demostrated no enhancement of the new dressing regimen by the acrylate.
- Equivalent performance of AQUACEL® SURGICAL cover dressing to DuoDERM® Extra Thin dressing covering AQUACEL® dressing demostrated in in vitro testing.
- Bowler PG, Jones SA, Walker M, Parsons D. Microbicidal properties of a silver-containing hydrofiber dressing against a variety of burn wound pathogens. J Burn Care Rehabil. 2004; 25(2):192-196.
- Clarke JV, Deakin AH, Dillon JM, Emmerson S, Kinninmonth AWG. A prospective clinical audit of a new dressing design for lower limb arthoplasty wounds. J Wound Care. 2009;18(1):5-11
- Laboratory Test Comparison of AQUACEL (R) Surgical Dressing 'New Design' and the Jubilee Method of Dressing Surgical Wounds. WHRI3264 TA180. October 7, 2009. Data on file, ConvaTec.